Friday, February 27, 2009

Your Thoughts?



A friend posted this on my facebook wall awhile back. I'm curious what others think of this video. Here's my initial impressions.

I disagree with Oprah's religious views. I am a christian and for that reason believing in Jesus Christ is central to my faith. I do believe that God is with me, ie...I have a relationship with God, etc...However, I do not believe that I am a part of God - as in deity myself. It's a fine line, but for me it's an important one.

However, I do think this video is bordering on fear mongering a bit. I think that christian organizations have a tendency to find popular people, beliefs, ideas to villianize and then make a crusade out of it. I think we'd all be better off if we promoted what Jesus was about instead of attacking what he's not. Does anyone see the point I'm trying to make? Yes, Oprah is influential. But if weren't Oprah, it'd be someone else. And we as individuals are responsible for choosing what we believe. So I guess it seems inappropriate to me to dump on someone because others choose to follow them. To me that seems similar to blaming a particular music or genre for a teenager going on a shooting spree at his high school. Clearly, that teenager's choice was a bit more complex than that. In the same way I don't believe we can blame a popular figure because people choose to follow them. And Oprah is a person with the right to believe what she wants to believe also. So...I guess I'm just not understanding where this video is coming from in making her out to be the villian.

Okay...that's my two cents. Anyone else?

No comments:

Post a Comment